The moment that someone walks into your life is always memorable. The moment that the right and best someone walks into your life is precious.
Steel Magnolias is my very favorite movie ever of all time (yes, I said “ever of all time”. I do that. I also do “absolutely 100%”. These are just Ali-isms).
I don’t even quote it anymore because for me, it’s gotten beyond that: the vernacular, expressions, and sentiments from Steel Magnolias are too closely woven into my existence. Relationship issue? My advice will likely begin with: “Men are the most horrible creatures, honey. They will ruin your life!” (Women, too, I know…) Close to me? I love you like my luggage! If I screw something up, it’s “a little poufier than I would normally do, but I’m nervous.” I regularly will tell you “I thank way shuld pray!” and you better reply “Aw, I’d rather eat dirt!” To know me is to know Steel Magnolias.
One of my favorite scenes in Steel Magnolias is when Sammy meets Annelle. Do you know this scene? It takes place at Shelby’s wedding: Sammy is bartending and Annelle, the last-minute guest, is awkwardly lurking at the bar. Sammy offers her a drink. After much hesitation, she concedes and asks for a Cherry Coke. He presents it to her with this: “My name’s Sammy and this here is the best Cherry Coke in the history of the world.”
Precious. This here is the best…well, you get it.
Cherry Coke Martini
- 2 oz. Vodka (Grey Goose!)
- 4 oz. Coca Cola Classic (open it and let it sit for a few minutes)
- 1.5 oz. Grenadine OR the juice from a jar of maraschino cherries
- Maraschino Cherries – for garnish
- Martini Glass
- Shot Glass with Oz Measurements
- Fill the shaker 1/3 of the way full with ice. Let sit for a few seconds.
- Add the vodka and cherry juice to the shaker.
- If the Coke is a little flat, you can add it to the shaker. If it’s not, then you might want to wait and add it after.
- Shake the contents of the shaker for 10 seconds or so.
- Empty into a martini glass.
- If you omitted the Coke from the shaker, add it now and stir lightly.
- Place 2-3 cherries in the bottom.